Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Dark Mantle" Oil on Ramar Canvas Board - 14" X 11" - $95 Donation


AUCTION BEGINS WEDNESDAY AT 6 PM ON EBAY






















"Dark Mantle" - Oil - 14" x 11"

"This model's dark hair offered a solid form that reminded me of mideval armor. I explored her facial structure, especially her nose and mouth. The cool tones around her eyes, plus the lovely blue of her irises, gave balance and relief to the warm tones elsewhere."  --- SFG


NOTE TO ARTISTS:
Painting portraits in a limited amount of time is tough. I go for accurate drawing, big shapes, and overall color. I must pay attention to the edges to keep one element from taking over and being inconsistent with the rest of the work.

The mistake I see most often among my students is making the far edge of the face too hard. In an effort to draw accurately, they flatten the image into a cut-and-paste cartoon against the background. Softening that edge immediately gives the head more form.


No comments: