Monday, April 15, 2013

"Forest Floor" - Auction Starts Today On eBay at 6 PM PT

"Forest Floor"   - 12" x 16"  - Oil



"For many years this painting has been one of my favorites and it was in my personal collection. It was painted in the Trinity National Wilderness Area here in northern California. Friends had invited me to their cabin which is on the last privately-owned section within a wilderness area in the country. I enjoyed the shade and the magnificent trees while the others climbed to 'Horse Heaven'."  --- SFG

NOTE TO ARTISTS: The answer to most compositional problems is 2/3 to 1/3. Here, I extended the group of tall trees 2/3 of the way across the canvas and left the rest more open. That allows the eye to move through the painting with comfort. The ratio, of course, is based on the Golden Mean. If you are not familiar with it, it will be worth your effort to read about it. Those ancients knew what they were talking about and the truth is still true today.





No comments: